Saturday, August 21, 2010

Photo a Day (77): Hero





I have a new hero...her name is Edith Macefield. Today's image is of Macefield's house in Ballard. Macefield was offered $1 million dollars to sell her 108 year old home to make way for commercial development. She refused. She is quoted by the (then) Seattle PI, "I don't want to move. I don't need the money. Money doesn't mean anything." When asked about the noise she answered, "I went through World War II, the noise doesn't bother me, they'll get it done someday." So there she stayed while the buildings went up around her. Ballard residents cheered her stubbornness and spunk amidst a "blue-collar neighborhood disappearing under condominiums and trendy restaurants." During the construction she was befriended by an unlikely soul--Barry Martin. Strangely enough, he was the senior superintendent of the construction project going up around Edith's home. In her final years he was the one who made sure she made it to doctors appointments (she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had no family), ran to the grocery store, picked up her prescriptions and made her dinners. During her last days he made sure she was comfortable in her home. When she died, Martin sold the house to Greg Pinneo for $310,000. Greg runs a company called "Reach Returns". They offer motivational seminars and cover topics on creating success, having a possibility mindset, communication, negotiation and creating a life inside and out that most people dare to dream of. Seems that his "new digs" will have a very positive vibe for not letting things get in the way of what you want.

The images today are of my shots of Edith's house. I also included one (the last image) from the web without the chain link fence or the Reach Return sign which is distracting to the house. The balloons were place atop the house by Disney in 2009 as a promo for their upcoming (and now past) movie "UP". Check out the following link for more information on Edith--she was a feisty gal who knew how to dig in her heels.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/333917_macefield02.html

Shot Thought: I was mostly trying to show how tiny this house looks in comparison to LA Fitness on the left and Trader Joe's on the right. It is quite a sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment