Sunday, March 6, 2011

Photo a Day (274): Marvin and Me


This image is of my daughter and Marvin Hamlisch. I have enjoyed Marvin's music throughout the years. He was the mastermind behind the music from shows and movies like "The Way We Were", "The Sting" and "A Chorus Line" to name a few. (And "The Informant" to name one of his more recent musical offerings.) While I have enjoyed his music, I am not sure I would have given up a sacred Sunday evening at home to listen to him give an hour long talk on his life and music at the Mercer Island Jewish Community Center. My mother, however, decided that we should indeed do this--given her love of Marvin. Keep in mind, she is not in town. She kindly purchased the tickets for us and said..."Go". In keeping with the historical cycle of Aberle life...we went on Joann's command. And, quite frankly, we had a great time. We had an enjoyable evening in a room full of octogenarians. It made us feel youthful and alive (literally!). I heard most of what he said when I was not distracted by, yet another, cane falling to the floor..."WAKE UP!!!" In all seriousness, it was a lovely evening. I very much enjoyed watching the "older set" listen to Marvin's music and stories. They have obviously loved his music for many years. He is an incredibly talented man with very fun stories to tell of his life intertwined with Hollywood and Broadway--stories of Barbra Streisand, Judy Garland, Liza Minnelli and Woody Allen to name a few. He is one of only two people to have been awarded Emmys, Grammys, Oscars, and a Tony plus a Pulitzer Prize (the other is Richard Rodgers). He has also won two Golden Globes. Thanks for the tickets mom!

Shot Thought: No, I did not stalk Marvin Hamlisch. We happened to be walking next to him out to our car. I did ask if I could get a picture of my daughter with him for her grandmother. I am quite sure it will be made poster size and over the mantle next time visit her house!

No comments:

Post a Comment